Tuesday, October 21, 2008

Yard Signs and Newspaper Endorsements

I've been doing a lot of traveling lately. Some has been in Texas and some elsewhere. Last week I was in Florida and Georgia. I saw a lot of McCain-Palin yard signs and very few of the other. It might be because I was mostly in rural areas. While in Georgia I heard very strong support for Senator McCain and saw only one T-shirt that was pro-that-other-guy.

Tonight I'm in Victoria, Texas. As I drove from Amarillo to Victoria I saw almost exclusively McCain-Palin yard signs until I arrived in the Austin area. The same with U.S. Senator John Cornyn. Austin seemed to have a good mix with possibly a slight edge to the more liberal candidate in both the Presidential and the U.S. Senate race.

After I left Austin this morning and headed south to Victoria I saw a few signs promoting the liberal Democrats and a few supporting McCain and Cornyn. It was much more mixed than the western parts of the state.

So, what does that portend for the races? I don't really know except that based on my trip and a rough count of political signs I would call the races (in Texas) 52% McCain and 46% to the Democrat with the remainder going to Ron Paul. In the Senate race I would give 62% to John Cornyn and 35% to the guy that sounds like a Central American dictator and a couple of percent to the fringe parties.

If you look at newspaper endorsements it looks like a sweep by U.S. Senator John Cornyn. I believe that he has 14 endorsements to date while his opponent has ZERO. I don't know about endorsements for McCain/Palin but I suspect that it is in his favor across the state.

The media keep talking about how bad the economy is but I don't see it. The traffic is heavy, trucks are hauling equipment, fields are being harvested or plowed, houses are being built, highways are under construction and restaurants are full. Maybe Texas is unique to the country but I don't think so. I saw the same when I was in southern Georgia and northern Florida last week.

Everywhere I look I see abundance. Our country is amazingly blessed. I think that we need pro-business, pro-growth, pro-family, pro-morality, pro-tax relief, pro-spending control government. I know Senator Cornyn fits that profile and I believe that Senator McCain does as well. If we want to regain control of our country we need to get the Nancy Pelosi's, Harry Reid's and B.O.'s out of Washington.

No comments: