Saturday, June 28, 2008

Political Pragmatism as Religion

There has been a lot of speculation on the web about Obama's religious beliefs. I think they can best be described as political pragmatism. If Obama claimed Islam, his chances of being elected would sink dramatically. I know this is just speculation -- but I think with a little thought, anyone in this country would agree. Claiming Christianity is certainly the better choice for a politician. Most of the voters at least claim Christianity as their religious preference.

Let me ask you -- if you had NO religious beliefs, what would be the personal compunction regarding claims to a religion that you did not truly believe? Pragmatism would dictate claiming that which would garner the most votes. Only God can judge a man's heart, but I think that there are many indicators that Mr. Obama claims Christianity merely for the name in the hope that it will appeal to Christian voters. If Muslims outnumbered Christians I suspect that his claims would be something different entirely. Do I know his heart? No. Does he know his own heart? Perhaps -- or, perhaps not. One day he will be judged just like the rest of us.

3 comments:

WomanHonorThyself said...

sigh..Obama is just the tip of the iceberg..what a horror...lets pray my friend.

Samantha West said...

I agree completely as well, he is indeed just the tip of the iceberg. I cannot say "democrats" buy I will say much of the left leaning population is about fixing the blame rather than fixing problems. That is what I see as Obama's strong point... fixing blame. It's a totally destructive pursuit.

Barbara Martin said...

I've been reading your posts on politics and finding them quite interesting. Although I read the National Post in Toronto every morning, with Obama on the front page most days, there's nothing quite like hearing it from those who take this personally.