Monday, May 26, 2008

Some Personal History

It seems relevant to briefly tell of a few experiences that have formed my insight into the political world. I will ignore the basic political introduction that we all experience in schools and universities and jump right to my first job after college. It was as a district aid for the State Representative in the district in which I was raised.

I thought for many years that I wanted to embark upon a career in politics. Having been raised in a small rural community by a family of educators, my only exposure was through reading. I had no clue as to the dog-eat-dog nature of any political endeavor. Therefore, upon graduation from Texas A&M University, I jumped at the opportunity to work for my State Representative. It paid very little monetarily but provided an educational introduction to politics that I have found to be quite valuable at various times since.

My job was not directly related to the political aspects of the office, but was more oriented to filling needs in the management of the Representative's personal business that were difficult for him to attend while fulfilling his role in the State Legislature. In short, I was a gofer. I did everything from writing computer programs to developing propectuses for selling shares in a winery. I answered the telephone and I ran errands. Eventually I even wrote a couple of speeches. I saw a little of how lobbyists worked and I saw a little of the give-and-take trades that make the political processes work. It was all from a distance.

Some years after leaving the job of District Office Assistant, I was working in the capacity of managing a few branches of a small regional lending institution. My interest in politics had continued and I had contacted the local Republican Party to find out how I might become involved only to find out that the local Republican Party had no County Chairman or active members. So, I contacted the Chairman in a neighboring county and shortly found myself as the appointed County Chairman. I was clueless. We had no money. I had no help.

I started by sending an appeal to those who had voted in the previous Republican Primary (a short list) for money. I was surprised at the dollars that came in. I found someone willing to act as Treasurer and found that there was an account set up at a bank which had been inactive. We put the money in the account and we were on our way! There were now two of us where there had been none.

My next step was to attend the state meeting of Republican County Chairmen. It was an interesting time. Ann Richards (D) was running for governor of Texas against an as yet undetermined Republican candidate from among the likes of T. Boone Pickens, Clayton Williams, and several others. At the convention which was held in San Antonio, I got to meet the Republican candidates and also a few other officials such as Kay Bailey Hutchison and her husband Ray (both impressed me with their genuiness and their caring manner). I also learned much of what I had to do to conduct elections that were imminent.

As I learned more-and-more of what I was to do as County Chairman I found myself being contacted by Republican candidates from around the state. One day I received a visit from Teel Bivins, candidate for State Senator. He asked me to help him set up some opportunities for campaigning within the county. I was happy to oblige and found that it was a great learning experience for much of how a campaign is conducted. The ultimate result is that my county, which previously had no organized Republican Party, voted Republican in every major race -- all the way to State Senator -- the first time in the history of the county that a down-ballot race had gone to the Republican candidate. I must admit that it wasn't my doing. It was because Mr. Bivins was the right candidate at the right time and the Reagan revolution was carrying a lot of Republican momentum.

It was not long after the elections that I changed jobs and towns of residence. It resulted in my slowly withdrawing from the level of political involvement that I had experienced. The contacts made were useful at times, but I slowly detached myself from active participation other than voting.

I have continued to follow politics through the years. At one time I seriously considered a bid for office. I no longer see that as something that I would like to pursue. Mainly because I wouldn't want to put my family through the agony of an election -- even on a local basis it can be nasty. I think my role now should be behind the scenes, or perhaps through written word in an attempt to positively influence the process where possible.

No comments: