Saturday, April 4, 2009

Money and Politics -- The Usual

It is obvious to me that agriculture doesn't wield much political power with the current administration. I guess there aren't enough voters who make a living from agriculture for it to be worthwhile for them to apply the federal largesse to this particular segment of the economy. Maybe, they just realize that this is a group whose votes can't be easily swayed by the application of large sums of money. It's much easier to obtain votes among the unions by pouring dollars into industries where they are strong. Besides, what's a few Billion among the Trillions that are being spent????

I must again repeat the quote of Benjamin Franklin -- "When the people find that they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic. Sell not liberty to purchase power."

1 comment:

Mike said...

I understand your concerns but to be honest, I'm not a big fan of ag. subsidies...if that's what you're talking about.

From what I've read, they don't help in lower food prices for the consumer, but instead keep some prices higher.

I am all for helping and protecting our farms, but I think there are better ways to do it, such as tit-for-tat tariffs on other countries.

I've read that the richest 10% of farmers and ranchers take something like 74% of subsidies and support. I grew up with a guy who inherited a large ranch; got loads of oil and gas wells on his place, but he gets over a thousand dollars / month in CRP (?) funds...he gets that for doing nothing more than watching the grass grow.

I can't see how anyone can argue that is fair or even right.

Farm Subsidy Database

Always read your newest posts via my Google reader, but other than eating, I don't have a lot to do with agriculture. -grin- I'll try to start posting more when I can.