Sunday, July 6, 2008

Character: Measuring the Course

One of the marks of a great person is the willingness to stand by a higher ideal or measure than the average man. One of the things that I believe sets President George W. Bush above the crowd is his willingness to stand by his commitments and beliefs -- even in the face of opposition and attack. To some, this can be seen as a weakness.

I think it is a matter of personal integrity when you view such character as to whether it is strength or weakness. To me, a true friend is one who will stand by you no matter what. An honorable man is one who after giving his word will keep it -- even to his own detriment. Those who would change their mind at every whim or according to the most recent poll are less than a man.

It seems to be the vogue to focus on one's self-interest. It is what is taught us by television, movies, popular personalities and political candidates. It requires true character to define oneself in the realm of right and wrong. Right and wrong don't change. Circumstances can change, courses sometimes must be adjusted, but once committed one needs to stay the course even when it hurts to do so -- if it is the right thing to do.

The young Senator from Illinois has not learned that lesson. It is clear that his mindset is "all about me." It reminds me of a recent President who defined words based on whether they were in his own self interest. How could we even consider going back to that?

3 comments:

Willy said...

Amen

Willy

Samantha West said...

Great post and it is something I've been thinking about in the wake of Haditha... of course you must understand that my little red head relates all things I see to the Marine Corps in some way...tee-hee... the joke is on me. Until 2004 I never had a passion except my red headed pups and then I ran headlong into Marine Corps history.

Anyway, a good post with which I agree.

Chris McClure aka Panhandle Poet said...

Samantha: I savvy red-head (no, wait, that's impossible) -- anyway, I live with one red-head and raised another who is now raising her own family. Thanks for your comment. I appreciate anyone who agrees with me.... :)

CDO/Willy: I'm lookin' forward to seein' y'all next week. Have a safe trip.