Sunday, July 13, 2008

Polarizing America

One of the most polarizing figures of recent times tells us that we are becoming more polarized as a society. I'll bet that he has no clue what role he has played in defining that polarity.

We like to be around those who are like us. Astounding isn't it? Hasn't it always been that way? If you look around our country you will see that those of similar ethnic descent tend to live in the same neighborhood. Those of similar occupations live near each other. Those in similar positions within the hierarchy of business live near each other. Wait -- I'm saying that farmers and farm workers live near farms. Factory workers live near factories. The wealthy live where they have neighbors with big houses -- don't want to hurt property values with smaller houses moving in now do we?

The real polarity is that of ideas. It is the differences in how we look at the world. Do we fear our neighbor or do we cherish them? Are we out to conquer the world or do we feel like we are victims? Do we follow the crowd or do we strike out on our own? The older I get, the more I see patterns in how people behave and think based on an underlying philosophy that is either inward focused or outward focused. I'm not referring to big egos. I'm referring to whether one sees themself as a victim or as a conquerer -- whether the "world is out to get me" or, "bring it on, world."

Then again, there are the wolves and sharks. But, that's a whole 'nother post....

2 comments:

Robin said...

Hmmm, definately food for thought but I don't think this is a "new" thing...in fact I think it's ageless.

When we were a "rural" society, cattlemen live amongst cattlemen, farmers amongst farmers..in close enough proximity to coexist.

Urbanization emptied our area during WWII, we had a resurgence of agriculture in the 80's and now I see a similar dissemination. Farmer's losing their asses moving to amarillo to be real estate kings or insurance salesmen (I'm from Friona...custom harvester) The new wave of urbanization?

People join cliques, it's not eliticism, it's a parody of class society...a parody because no one dictates it..."water seeks it's own level"...and that's not racist or classist...water is water and it's usually the water on top that stagnates first...

Chris McClure aka Panhandle Poet said...

Robin: Very astute observation. Thanks for stopping by. I'll wave the next time I pass through Friona!